Russia’s invasion in Ukraine has caused an unprecedented geopolitical upheaval for Europe as a whole. As we bear witness to a global test of democracy against autocracy, The Economist is planning to host this year’s Annual Economist New York – Mediterranean Business Summit entitled “Investing for peace, stability and pluralistic growth” to take place on May 31st 2022 at the Lotte New York Palace in New York.
Against this setting, the Eastern Mediterranean region creates an important potential for energy, business and investment as Cyprus, Greece, and Israel aim to enhance the importance of the region as a significant hub. What challenges and opportunities lie ahead? To what extent is the current political situation generating a new security architecture in Europe which will give way to new projects to diversify the energy supply and investments in the region?
The summit shall take place under the auspices of the Ministry of Development and Investments of Greece and the Ministry of Energy, Commerce and Industry of Cyprus as well as the valuable support of the Cyprus Embassy Trade Center in New York and the American Jewish Committee in New York.
Topics to be discussed include:
• The Eastern Mediterranean against the backdrop of geopolitical turmoil
• US Foreign Policy in the Eastern Mediterranean in light of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine
• US – Eastern Mediterranean trade relations: new business ventures for stability and growth
• ESG investments and financial services in times of turbulence
• Innovation and technology : on an upward trend?
• Europe’s energy security: new priorities – new alliances
Investing for peace, stability and pluralistic growth
May 31st 2022